To Kill A Mockingbird Interactive Lit Circle

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

Chapter 25 Burning Question

November 13, 2009 by mrcscienceguy · 11 Comments · Uncategorized

Discuss in detail Mr. Underwood’s editorial.   To what does he compare Tom?….Is this a good analogy and why?

11 Comments so far ↓

• 1015

“Mr.Underwood simply figured out it was a sin to kill cripples, be they standing, sitting,or escaping. He likened Tom’s death to the senseless slaughter of song birds by hunters and children, and Maycomb thought he was trying to write an editorial poetical enough to be reprinted in the Montgomery Advertiser.” “How could this be so, I wondered, as I read Mr.Underwood’s editorial. Senseless killing-Tom had been given Due process of law to the day of his death.” He compared Tom to senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters, and children. I don’t think so because it doesn’t really make sence to compare him to those things.

What do you think is a good analogy and why? Why is it a sin to kill cripples?

• 6497

Chapter 25:

Mr. Underwood stated in his editorial that he beleives it is a sin to kill those who are crippled, as Tom Robinson was. He compared Tom’s death to “the senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children.” I do not find this to be a good analogy, for the killing of Tom Robinson was nothing similar to the senseless killing of songbirds, because it did have a reason. Tom broke the rules, so he was killed.

• 0707

Chapter 25

Mr. Underwood said that he thinks it’s a sin to kill those who are crippled, as Tom was before he died. . Tom broke the law so he got shot. He said Toms death was “the senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children.”

• 3713

He thinks that is a sin to kill those who are the crippled, like how Tom was before he died. He compared Tom’s death “The senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children.” I find this a good analogy because Tom was the songbird and he was killed by the guards who were the haunters and the children.

• 1337

Mr. Underwood said that he thinks it’s a sin to kill those who are crippled, as Tom was before he died. He compares the senseless songbirds by hunters and children to Tom. I think it is a good analogy because when Tom was shot, he was “hunted” like the songbird.

• 0618

Mr. Underwood made it so children could understand. It was a sin to kill cripples, whether they were standing, sitting, or escaping. “He likened Tom’s death to the senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children.” Yes it’s a good analogy because killing Tom, especially shooting him 17 times, is a s stupid as killing songbirds.

• 1360

To Kill A Mockingbird, Chapter 25:

Discuss in detail Mr. Underwood’s editorial. To what does he compare Tom? Is this a good analogy and Why?

Mr. Underwood made his writing in a way so children could understand.
    “Mr. Underwood simply figured it was a sin to kill cripples, be they standing, sitting, or escaping. He likened Tom’s death to the senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children, and Maycomb thought he was tryng to write an editorial poetical enough to be printed in the Montgomery Advertiser. I don’t think he wanted to, maybe he did maybe he didn’t but I think the most important thing was that he wanted people to undertand what he was trying to say.

• 0216

To Kill A Mockingbird, Chapter 25:

In the Maycomb Tribune Mr. Underwood compared killing a crippled man to killing a songbird. (a sin) Scout couldn’t really understand the article until she thought about it more. I think this is a good analogy because they say killing a mockingbird is a really bad crime in Maycomb, so killing a man that is disabled and is already hurting is sort of like the same thing.

“Atticus had used every tool available to free men to save Tom Robinson, but in the secret courts of men’s hearts Atticus had no case. Tom was a dead man the minute Mayella Ewell opened her mouth and screamed.”

• 1234

mr. underwood thinks it’s a sin to kill cripples “be they standing, sitting,or escaping” so he wrote an editorial on Toms death comparing “slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children”
    what they mean by that is that killing a mocking bird is a sin and that so is killing a crippled man because they do no harm and are defenseless. and i believe him because if i were disabled i would have a disatvantage if some one had a gun and shot at me. they would have a better chance of killing me than me running away helplessly. i thought it was a good analogy because Tom being shot is like a songbird being hunted.

• 0929

Mr. Underwood said in his editorial that is a sin to kill a mockingbird. He relates this to Tom Robinson because his is disabled, and did not do anything.

• 0000

Mr. Underwood’s editorial discussed about Tom Robinson’s death through a poem. He compared it to the senseless slaughter of songbirds by hunters and children. Maycomb thought that he was trying to write a editorial poetical enough to be reprinted in The Montgomery Advertiser.

I think that this is an accurate thing to compare it to because Tom’s death was like the same as killing an innocent songbird. Tom was just trying to escape because he wanted to get back to his family and he wanted to escape because he was innocent and did not hurt Miss Mayella Ewell.

Do you think that Atticus was surprised when he got the news that Tom was dead, or did he expect something like this to happen? Explain.