To Kill A Mockingbird Interactive Lit Circle

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

Chapter 22 Burning Question

November 5, 2009 by mrcscienceguy · 15 Comments · Uncategorized

Does Miss Maudie think that it was an accident that Atticus was appointed by the judge to defend Tom Robinson?  Why?

15 Comments so far ↓

• 4643

Miss Maudie does not think that it was an accident that Atticus was appointed by the judge to defend Tom Robinson. Miss Maudie actually thinks him as a man who keeps the case continously running.

“It was no accident. I was sittin’ there on the porch last night, waiting. I waited and waited to see you all come down the sidewalk, and as I waited I thought, Atticus Finch won’t win, but he’s the only man in these parts who can keep a jury out so long in a case like that. And I thought to myself, well, we’re making a step-it’s just a baby-step, but it’s a step.”

Question for other bloggers:
    Do you think anyone else would think that it wasn’t an accident like what Miss Maudie metioned? Do you agree with Miss Maudie that it wasn’t an accident or disagree that it was an accident?

• 1234

I think she knew that Judge Taylor appointed Atticus because usually Maxwell Green does trials like Tom Robinson’ s.

“This was a thought. Court-appointed defenses were usually given to Maxwell Green. Maycomb’s latest addition to the bar, who needed the experience. Maxwell Green should have had Tom Robinson’s case.”

Maybe he thought Atticus would be a better “representitive” for Tom.

• 1015

She doesn’t think it was an accident because judge Taylor had to have his reasons for picking Atticus. “Did it ever strike you that judge Taylor naming Atticus to defend that boy was no accident? That Judge Taylor might have had his reasons for naming him?” Cases were usually given to Maxwell Green because he needed the experience. I think judge Taylor gave atticus his case because he new that Tom wasn’t going to win but at least he was going to have a fair trial. why Do you think Atticus can keep the jury up that long? Do you think judge Taylor could have been fair instead of trying to prove him guilty

• 1015

Answer to other bloggers answer: I think that everyone would think that it wasn’t an accident. I think it wasn’t an acciden’t because judge Taylor wanted to make the case fair even though he knew Tom wasn’t going to win.

• 3713

No, she thinks that it was on purpose because she knew that Judge Taylor thought that Atticus was the only one capable of dragging that kind of case, that long. He was the only one who could fully bring out the issues of this case. He was good enough to really get everyone to think about the case and the real issues. He thought that he had enough confidence and potential to get everyone interested and involved.

• 0618

No because she knows that the judge knows that Atticus will be fair and orderly and will find the truth about Tom Robinsin. He won’t judge him because he’s black, he’ll be completely fair.

• 0216

To Kill A Mockingbird, Chapter 22:

I think Miss Maudie thought Tom Robinson was appointed with Atticus on person because she thought that the just was just trying to be fair, and was willing to still give Tom Robinson a chance to win the trial. I also think Miss Maudie only wanted to give Tom Robinson a good lawyer for her too lose, and for him too make the jury become on Tom’s side of the case. I also think the judge gave Tom Robinson a good lawyer because he wanted the trial to be equal to folks of all colors.

Question for bloggers:

Even if you think Tom Robinson gave him a good lawyer, do you think the trial was fair?

• 0707

Chapter 22

No, Miss Maudie thinks that he was chosen because she knew that Judge Taylor thought that Atticus was the only one able to make that kind of case moving for so long . Atticus was the only one who could completely bring out the true issues of this case. Atticus was good enough to really get everyone thinking about the real subject of the case . While in trial Atticus seemed confident the whole time.

• 0929

Miss Maudie does not think it was an accident that Atticus was chosen to defend Tom Robinson in the case. She knew that Atticus wouldn’t win, but she knew that Atticus would be able to keep the case running for as long as he possibly could. He was the only one to get the court thinking about the case for so long, he also gave extremely good cross-examinations, and had the power to switch the whole court around, but just couldn’t pull it off.

• 1360

To Kill A Mockingbird, Chapter 22:

Does Miss Maudie think that it is an accident that Atticus was appointed by the judge to defend Tom Robinson? Why?

Miss Maudie thinks it was no accident that Atticus was choosen to defend Tom Robinson because Miss Maudie knew that Judge Taylor thought that only Atticus Finch could keep this kind of case going for such a very long time. Atticus was the only man who could show Judge Taylor that Tom Robinson is possibly innocent. Atticus was really meant for this case because he really has everybody thinking about the facts that Atticus is putting out in this trail. When Atticus speaks about the facts he knows what he’s talking about and he knows that Tom Robinson is possibly innocent too. This is why Miss Maudie thinks this is no accident that Atticus was choosen to defend Tom Robinson.

Question For Others:
    Do you think that Tom Robinson is possibly innocent, knowing the facts that we have found out in the book?

• 7297

no I think that Atticus was appointed the lawyer because judge Taylor was supposed to appoint someone else.He knew that if he appointed Atticus, then he would have a more fair trail and that he had a higher chance of winning.Judge Taylor was trying to help Tom Robinson the whole time. Miss Maudie knew.

• 1196

no. Atticus was prepared to defend Tom. judge taylor was smart cuz he could make the trial balanced or fair cuz atticus is a good supporter for tom robinson

• 0216

@1360

I actually do think Tom Robinson is innocent given the fact that he is really old and crippled. I also think he his innocent because Miss Mayella didn’t really give an important facts that Tom is actually innocent. I also think he is innocent because he gave a great story on what did happen that night.

• 1337

Miss Mauide does NOT think it was an accident. She thinks its not an accident because she knows that Atticus does not only defend his race but all other races as well. Judge Taylor knew assigning Atticus would be a more fair and worthy trail.

• 0000

Miss Maudie thought that it was not an accident that Atticus was asked to defend Tom Robinson. She said that he was asked because he would do his best and that he was fair. He would always do what he thought was right and make the best decision.

She asked Jem the day after they had lost, “Did it ever strike you that Judge Taylor naming Atticus to defend that boy was no accident? Think about it. It was no accident. I was sitting on the porch last night waiting. I waited and waited. As I waited I thought, Atticus cant win. He won’t win, but he is the only man in these parts that can keep a jury out in a case like that.” She was saying that Atticus was the only man to keep a jury out so long trying to decide, and that he was not going to win but that he tried his very best.

Do you think that Miss Maudie was just trying to make Jem and Scout feel better, or did she really mean what she said? Why or why not?